Vietnamese Style Grilled Five Spice Chicken2012-03-17
- Cuisine - Land: Chinese
- Course - Gang: Side Dish
- Skill Level - Schwierigkeit: Advanced
- Add to favorites
- Yield - Ausbeute: 5 Grills
- Servings - Personen : 5
- Prep Time - Vorbereitung: 30m
- Cook Time - Zubereitung: 40m
- Ready In - Fertig in: 1:40 h
- 6 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 large shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon, peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 chicken (about 3 lbs) cut into eight servings
In a mortar and pestle or small food processor combine the ginger, shallot, garlic and sugar and smash to form a paste.
Create a marinade by transferring the paste to a small bowl and whisking in the soy sauce, fish sauce, five-spice powder and a healthy dose of pepper.
Rinse the chicken pieces in cold water and pat dry. Place the chicken in a large, resealable zip-top bag and pour in the marinade. Toss the chicken inside the bag to cover evenly with the marinade and refrigerate for 12 hours or as long as overnight.
Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Remove the chickens from the bag and reserve the marinade in a small bowl.
Place the chicken pieces skin side down on the grill directly over the heat until the first side is nicely browned, about 11-12 minutes. Baste once or twice with the reserved marinade during the first stage of grilling. Turn, baste again and grill until the chicken reaches the internal temperature of 165°, about11-12 minutes longer. Do not baste chicken during the final 10 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Average Member Rating
(4.4 / 5)
65 people rated this recipe
This information is per serving.